Thorson Memorial Library maintains a strong curriculum of library programming & Materials for children. We are a hands-on learning space so come and plan to stay a while.
Library Explorations or you might remember it as Story time
- From the second Thursday in September through the month of May
- Thursdays at 2:00 & 5:30 NOTE THE TIME CHANGES
- Geared toward children ages birth through age 8 (everyone is welcome to attend)
- Join us for stories, songs, games, experiments, art projects, crafts and an overall great time
- This programming does not occur on holidays when the library is closed
- This programming is cancelled if West Central Area Schools are closed due to inclement weather
- Keep children engaged in learning over the summer and avoid the summer slide
- Each summer during June & July we offer six weeks of enrichment activities.
- Thursdays time to be announced.
Geared toward children ages birth through age 10 (everyone is welcome to attend)
- Featuring read aloud stories, songs, crafts, games, activities, & snacks.
- Every Child Ready-to-Read information
Check in with the library to learn about special activities such as: classes, guest speakers, visiting authors, and workshops.
Ready to Learn Backpacks are collections of materials related to a specific theme or concept to help build school readiness & social emotional development skills. Each back contains books, DVDS, and audios for children and adults. Ready to Learn Backpacks check out for 3 weeks and can be renewed. They are perfect for families, caregivers, and teachers. Click here for a list of our backpacks and their contents:
In house use:
Snap Circuit kits: seven kits that allow children (and adults) to build real working circuits.
We also have toys for building, exploring, creating, making, and imagining. Put on a puppet show, put together a puzzle, listen to books on audio, or find a cozy spot to enjoy books.
The library staff is dedicated to providing excellent library resources and enriching activities for children and their families. The library works closely with local schools, is a member of our family services collaborative, The Child & Youth Council, and the Early Childhood Initiative. Library employees regularly attend trainings and workshops related to early literacy and educational activities.